(SNFs- pronounced “sniffs”)
A skilled nursing facility is also known as nursing home or convalescent home. These types of facilities are defined as live-in facilities that offer medical treatment prescribed by a physician.
They cater to several types of patients:
– some patients require short-term rehabilitation while recovering from surgery;
– other patients require long-term nursing and medical supervision.
In addition, some SNFs offer specialized care programs for Alzheimer’s or other illnesses, or short-term respite care for frail or disabled persons when a family member requires a rest from providing care in the home.
What to expect
- twenty-four hour nursing care
- rehabilitation services such as physical, speech therapy and occupational therapy
- assistance with personal care activities such as eating, walking, bathing and using the toilet
- coordinated management of patient care
- social services and activities
Infinite Serenity Referral offers listings with the proper needed facilities along with information on how to assess nursing homes so you can find a skilled nursing facility that will best fit your needs.